Friday, September 16, 2016

Minor Protest regarding Price Fixing in Second Life

I know this will fall on deaf ears - but maybe someone will share it and it will go viral in Second Life and make a difference.  That being said - due to the issues with full perm creators getting kicked off of second life right now - I really hope this isn't what happened to them.

So here is my rant, and it's a rant, so if you dislike rants, skip this particular installment.  The next ones won't be so ranty.

I don't like rules that tell me how I can and can't price items.

I am a new designer and ultimately my work may not be as good as someone who has been in Second Life creating for quite some time.  I do not feel that customers should have to pay as high of a premium price for my work as my competitors just yet.  I need to get the word out and advertise but I am working against a significant barrier to business.

Secondly, it's illegal for anyone to control my prices but me where I live in RL.  This practice of getting competitors to agree to any type of pricing scheme is called price fixing, and it's illegal in the US.  As such it should be against the TOS of Linden Labs who as far as I am aware, still operates in the United States.

To read up on price fixing and the United States, read here: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/dealings-competitors/price-fixing

It is fine for mesh makers and other people to set the rates for THEIR work.  What I pay them is up to them.  But what I charge is not and should not be their concern or that of my competitors.

However, until such rules are set aside, I hate to be unfair to people and break these illegal rules.  I can just protest against them and abide by them until they are released.  That's my two cents.

Have a great day!

- Anara

No comments:

Post a Comment